So! The Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children movie trailer just dropped and it was amazing.
1. A criticism. Why is it that Emma can fly? That is most certainly not her peculiarity. That whole bit in the ship underwater was really weird because Emma has fire not air. She’s wearing weighted shoes, which is what Olive does in the book, so at least that’s accurate. Plus Olive is wearing gloves, like Emma did in the book.
2. A compliment. I’m really happy that Asa is Jacob. From the trailer, it looks like he’s going to do a very good job. I don’t think that if there is a problem I’m going to have with the movie, it’s going to be a result of the acting.
3. A criticism. The ages. Emma is fine, a blonde teenager. But Olive, in this movie, apparently, she isn’t going to be a young child, she is going to be the same age as Emma! Also, Fiona is vice versa! She is not a teenager, she is a child who looks like she is around 10. The other children are fairly accurate, though.
4. A compliment. Even though it’s rather brief, I liked how they referenced Jacob’s power towards the end when he’s aiming a crossbow at a hollowgast. I imagined the hollowgasts, I don’t know, more monstrous. I know that they were human-like at some point, but, hey, it at least had tentacles!
5. A compliment/criticism????? The trailer was very happy. This book just felt like it was so much darker and older-seeming than the trailer. The house and the children were so much brighter than I expected, but that’s not a totally bad thing.
I really hope that this movie stays really true to the book, and I’m sure it’ll be better than, say, The 5th Wave.